You have purchased laminate flooring and are ready to install your beautiful new laminate floor. Before you begin to install your laminate flooring, you will want to review the following basic laminate flooring installation tips. Laminate flooring will be a permanent fixture in your home; as it is not something that is changed on a regular basis. Therefore, know the basics before you begin installing your laminate flooring. Use our installation tips to avoid potential problems with your floor.
- Be sure to read instructions provided by manufacturer
- Let the floor to acclimate to room temperature for at least 48 hours before installing
- Make sure your subfloor is prepared well and is level, clean and in good repair
- Use proper laminate underlayment, use vapor barrier for concrete floors, ceramic tile, heated floors.
- Tape together the seams of your underlayment as you are laying it
- Always leave at least 3/8" expansion gap around perimeter of the floor and around any stationary objects such as pipes, columns, build in cabinets, etc.
Stagger rows one plank width from each other
- Use Universal Installation Kit to help tighten joints, speed up installation, and keep same expansion gap size - don't over-tap-you can damage the grooves.
- Install laminate on any floor with a drain
- Continue laminate through doorways under 48"- use a transition
- Install over carpet
- Install double layer of laminate underlayment- too much cushion underneath will cause planks to separate
- Run your laminate floor lengthwise over 30 linear feet- a transition strip must be used to continue.
- Nail wall base molding or quarter round to the floor- always fix it to the wall with room underneath for the floor to expand and contract
- Cut into back of the laminate, as this will cause chipping in the decorative top layer. Always be sure to cut into this layer.
When you purchase your laminate flooring, make sure you also purchase any thresholds, quarter round and base molding at the same time. This will save you time and money. Remember, laminate flooring comes in an array of colors and will meet your decorating needs. The durability and strength that laminate flooring offers is something you will appreciate for years to come.These are just some very basic tips, in regards to installing laminate flooring. You can visit http://www.bestlaminate.net for an extensive list of what you need to know before you install laminate floor.