Subfloor types, requirements and preparation
5 essential tools for laminate flooring installation
9 steps for succesful laminate installation
How to clean laminate flooring
For more laminate flooring tips visit our blog at LaminateFlooringHowTo.com
*Read all instructions before installation.
QuickStyle Premium Flooring is installed using a glueless locking mechanism. Because this is a floating floor system, QuickStyle Premium Flooring should never be nailed or glued to the subfloor. Furthermore, the floor should not be installed against any fixed, vertical objects (including walls, staircases, fixtures, etc.). Allow a minimum of 5/16” (8mm) expansion space around the perimeter of the room and any fixed objects such as posts.
- Rooms measuring wider or longer than 30’ (9m) require the use of T-moldings to allow for normal expansion and contraction of the floor.
- Be sure to stagger boards by a minimum of 12” (300mm).
- QuickStyle Premium Flooring should not be installed in rooms where the relative humidity exceeds 70%.
SUGGESTED TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- 5/16’[ (8mm) spacers
- Table or hand saw
- Carbide-tipped circular saw blades
- Tape measure
- Duct tape
- Age-resistant, non-permeable polyethylene vapor barrier (.008” or .20mm) for installation over concrete
- Safety glasses
SAFETY CAUTION: use safety glasses and gloves when cutting this product. During the cutting process, laminate may create wood dust; be sure to install in a well-ventilated area.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL TYPES OF SUBFLOORING:
QuickStyle Premium Flooring can be installed over most floors such as vinyl, tile and sheet floors. Substrates should be structurally sound and immobile. Before installing flooring, ensure that the subfloor is leveled within 3/16” in 10’ (2mm in 2m). Irregularities in the subfloor should be smoothed using a hydraulic cement base patching and leveling compound. Suspended wood subfloors should have a minimum of 18” (45cm) of well ventilated air space above the ground.
- New concrete subflooring should be cured for at least 90 days prior to installation. (Moisture test: moisture vapor < 3lbs./1,000 sq ft/24 hours per ASTM 1869 calcium chloride test).
- Install 0.008” (0.20mm) age-resistant, non-permeable polyethylene vapor barrier over the concrete subfloor. Seams must be taped using adhesive tape such as duct tape. The vapor barrier should be installed up the wall by 1” (25mm).
- Sheet Vinyl, Tile and Wood Subflooring: Moisture content of the wood subfloor should not exceed 12%.
- Remove deep pile carpeting and padding prior to installation of laminate flooring.
- QuickStyle Premium Flooring can be installed over industrial direct glue-down carpeting installed over wood subfloors without padding.
- Carpet installed over concrete must be removed. See instructions for installation over a concrete subfloor.
RADIANT HEATING SYSTEMS:
- QuickStyle Premium Flooring can be installed on under-floor radiant heating systems if the heating element is installed into wood or concrete subfloors.
- Lower the heating system to 60 degrees (16 C) for 1 week before installation.
- After installation, slowly increase the temperature in increments of 10 degrees (6 C) per hour.
- Surface temperature must not exceed 85 degrees (28 C).
- Follow installation instructions for wood or concrete as outlined above.
It is important to allow QuickStyle Premium Flooring to acclimate to the room temperature where it is to be installed by placing the packaged flooring flat in the room for a minimum of 48 hours prior to installation. Do not remove the plastic wrapping. Be sure that the room temperature is in the range of 65-75 degrees (18-20C).
- Remove all existing moldings.
- If the room has electric baseboard heaters, leave a minimum of 1/2:” (12.5mm) between the surface of the flooring and the bottom of the heaters, allowing heat to circulate.
- Check door clearances, making necessary adjustments before laying the flooring. Door moldings (jambs) should be undercut to accommodate the thickness of the flooring and underlayment.
Determine which way to lay the planks. If installing in narrow hallways or small rooms, the area will appear larger if flooring is laid parallel to the longest wall.
In difficult to fit areas, such as door moldings, remove the lip on the groove edge of the planks you are fitting into. This can be done by lightly sanding or planning off the lip on the groove side of the plank, allowing the plank to be installed laying flat. Once the lip has been trimmed on the plank being fitted to, lay the plank flat on the floor. Apply a thin bead of PVAc-D3 laminate glue on the top of the tongue. Then push the plank into position. Once the plank is positioned, wipe off excess glue with a damp cloth and warm water.
Remove the spacers placed along the perimeter of the room. To cover the expansion space, install moldings around the perimeter of the room. Be sure to fasten the molding into the wall, not through the flooring. Quarter-rounds should be pre-drilled before nailing them to the wall.
Felt protection pads should be placed under furniture legs or other heavy objects to be left in place for a long period of time. Do not drag or pull heavy furniture, as doing so will damage the floor.
CARE OF LAMINATE FLOORING:
Damp mop, using mild household cleaner in lukewarm water. Do not use abrasive cleaners.